Monday, May 5, 2014

Cinco de Mayo Chicken Enchilada Queso

I love to cook! I do, but I don't like all the mess - I like to keep everything to one dish/pan/pot. That makes the slow cooker my favorite cooking appliance.

Cinco de Mayo is a big deal in Texas, we even have a potluck at work to celebrate this event. Since I LOVE my slow cooker this is a great time to pull out all the stops and make queso. Not just Velvetta and Ro-Tel but queso with a twist. Something to get all my co-workers tongues wagging - here is my recipe for Chicken Enchilada Questo.

Cinco de Mayo Chicken Enchilada Queso

1/2 to 1 white onion chopped
2 tbs butter
2 can Ro-Tel (10 oz)

8 oz cream cheese (2 packages)
1 (32 oz) box Velvetta 
3-4 cups cooked chicken (rotisserie or grilled)
1 tbs cilantro chopped (optional)

Using the slow cooker (on high) put butter and onions in bottom let them get tender - this takes about 15 minutes. While you are waiting on the onions starting getting the other items chopped/cut. Add Ro-Tel, both cans - you can drain for a thicker queso or you can just add both cans as is. I have also drained then added a half can of milk. Stir each item in before adding the next - they won't be melted but you want them incorporated well. Next add the cream cheese, cut up to melt quicker.  Again, stir. Now add the cubed Velvetta - I like to cut the Velvetta in small cubes. Velvetta comes in lots of varieties now - you could do this dip with the Blanco Velvetta - YUMMY! Add chicken - I like to use frozen chicken that is already grilled. I warm it in the microwave and then dice it into bite size chunks. Add cilantro if you like. Cook on low or high until hot and cheese is melted. I usually do  high for an hour then down to low for 1 to 1.5 hours.


For the Ro-Tel I like to use Mild, but you can use any type you like as long as it has the tomatoes and chilies. I think next time I might use one Mild and one Cilanto and Lime and then just eliminate the chopped cilantro.

Serve with your favorite chip or warm tortillas or pita bread.

Makes enough for a 4 quart slow cooker.

Enjoy!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment